The risk to the American people from the novel coronavirus remains very low, said U.S. President Donald Trump Wednesday at a press conference in the White House.
President Trump said because of the precautions taken by the U.S., the COVID-19 risk to the public “remains very low.” So far, a total of 60 cases have been confirmed in the U.S., eight of which have returned to their homes, and five of them have fully recovered.
But “the degree of risk has the potential to change quickly, and we can expect to see more cases in the United States,” U.S. Health Services Secretary Alex Azar added.
On Wednesday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported the first possible “community spread” in California, which means the CDC doesn’t know how the patient contracted the virus.
Trump announced that Vice President Mike Pence will lead the government’s COVID-19 response team.