No more truces with communist rebels will be called for the rest of President Duterte’s term, he said last December 7, in a tirade against insurgents he previously called the number one threat to the country amidst the coronavirus pandemic.
The President said, “For all intents and purposes, the ceasefire is dead. It is gone. It was gone a long time ago.”
Recently, he expressed support for United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres’ call for a global ceasefire on armed conflicts so countries can focus on the fight against COVID-19.
In an address to the UN General Assembly’s 31st special session in New York in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, he stated, “The Secretary General’s report for global ceasefire is most welcome and appreciated.”
The President added, “Yet combatting terrorism is as urgent now as it was before the pandemic. In my country, this fight is about protecting life, while preserving the democratic values we have restored without violence.”