Teenager Dies From Bubonic Plague After Eating Marmot

A 15-year-old boy died on July 12 from bubonic plague in western Mongolia, according to government health officials.

The teenager caught the plague after hunting and eating marmot, according to Mongolia’s Ministry of Health.

Marmots are large ground squirrels, a type of rodent, that have historically been linked to plague outbreaks in the region.

Tests confirmed the teenager had contracted bubonic plague and authorities imposed quarantine measures in the Tugrug district.

The quarantine ran from July 12 to 18, and authorities isolated 15 people who came into contact with the teenager. All are healthy.

Rodents are the main vector of plague transmission from animals to humans, but the disease can also be passed on through flea bites or from person to person.

Plague killed an estimated 50 million people in Europe during the Black Death pandemic in the Middle Ages, but modern antibiotics can prevent complications and death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.