Salmon products have been pulled off grocery store shelves in France as some salmon foods tested were contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes – a virus that usually causes vomiting, fever and headache.
Major supermarket chain Carrefour said it had pulled all its salmon products off shelves. For those who purchased the products, the supermarket suggested they destroy the products or simply return the purchased items at the supermarket, according to French newspaper Le Figaro.
Food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes may not look or smell spoiled, but they can still make you sick. Symptoms can sometimes include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches and severe headache. Pregnant women and the elderly are particularly at risk.
Official data showed up to 400 cases of Listeria monocytogenes poisoning are reported in France every year on average, with a mortality rate between 30 and 40 percent.