After being shut for more than three weeks, Hong Kong schools are to remain closed until after Easter even as university entrance exams will go ahead as planned, education officials said, as four more cases of COVID-19 were reported, taking the total to 85.
Announcing the further school closure, Secretary for Education Kevin Yeung Yun-hung said classes at all kindergartens, primary and secondary schools would be suspended until April 20 at the earliest.
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, classes were first suspended after the Lunar New Year holiday, which ended on February 3. The Education Bureau had already extended the suspension for two more weeks until March 16.
The government opted for the further extension as the World Health Organization and virologists have already predicted that the epidemic will last for a longer period of time.