Late enrollees may still be accepted in public schools even after the start of classes on August 24, the Department of Education said.
Education Undersecretary Jesus Mateo said there is no need to extend enrollment, citing the basic education enrollment policy that allows schools to accept late enrollees provided that the student will be able to meet 80 percent of the prescribed number of school days.
This means that late enrollees may be accepted until the last week of September.
Mateo said, “The importance of the June enrollment is to get additional information through the Learner Enrollment Survey Form,” a survey on the capability of households to implement distance learning.
Mateo earlier shared the DepEd projected a 20-percent drop in enrollment due to the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
More than 19.1 million have enrolled in public schools, which is 85 percent of enrolled students last year.